Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tailoring Tips: shortening jacket sleeves

Curvy, Petite Outfit Ideas | Professional and Casual-Chic Fashion and Style Inspiration | Tailoring Tips: shortening jacket sleeves


Hi Ladies,

I bought this adorable Moto Jacket at Banana Republic Factory a few weeks ago. They only had a regular, not a petite, but I tried it on anyways. (I strongly recommend that curvy, petite women try on jackets that hit at hip length even if they aren't a petite cut. Often, you will only have to shorten the sleeves.) The price was so good (it was 50% off)! Everything fit perfectly except the sleeves...they were about 2 inches too long. Normally, shortening jacket sleeves cost about $20, but since there was a zipper at the end of the sleeve, I knew the tailor was not going to be happy. (They hate replacing zippers, and when a tailor is unhappy, your wallet will be unhappy.) I took the jacket anyway, knowing that I could return it if the alterations cost got too high. However, when I got to the tailor she had a great idea: just add a seam and shorten it that way! It's a great idea for moto or motorcycle style jackets because they usually have seams on the sleeves, so the style was maintained. Plus she only charged me $25!. What do you think?

Don't miss out on the perfect jacket because the sleeves are too long! Take it to your tailor. Shortening jacket sleeves is an inexpensive, low risk tailoring job.


"After" picture

I don't have a "before" picture, but this is what it looks like afterwards. You can barely see the seam!

Peace, Love and Tailoring :)

- Merrie K.



FTC Disclaimer:  

All opinions expressed in this blog are my own, however if you decide to click on the links above, I may earn a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!



Linking up with:





16 comments:

  1. Uh oh. I just clicked over and they have that adorable jacket in my size. I may get it if the 30% off code works.
    I had no idea that shortening sleeves was pretty inexpensive. I usually don't need to do it since I have freakishly long arms but Freddy always has the problem of too long sleeves. Thank you so much for that wonderfully useful info! Now back to BR to check out that jacket. It looks so amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great share, as a thriftinista, this will definitely be something I can do with leather jackets that I have been eyeing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Robin :) Really excited to share more useful tips for us petite lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to hear that Cynthia! And yeah, I'm so happy you find this post useful. The goal really is to come up with more helpful fashion posts! Thanks so much for your support. I do hope you can get that jacket at a discount ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you find the tip helpful Antionette! Promise to come up with more posts like this one, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So the 30% extra did not work and then I found three (!) jackets at Urban Outfitters that I want so now I am completely confused and am buying nothing. LOL This is actually a good strategy to save money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey Cynthia, delaying a purchase IS a good strategy to save money :) timing is everything! can't wait to hear what you finally get when you Do make the purchase! Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! You look amazing in all of your posts!
    Much love, Vanessa
    www.whatwouldvwear.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just like that I can now call this odd behavior of mine a strategy!! thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahah, that's the attitude, girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took a coat with detailed cuffs to a tailor and he took the whole sleeve off and shortened it where it attached to the jacket, preserving the detail. And it was not that expensive. Too bad I moved and can't find anyone as good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Argie,

    I guess very few tailors are willing to do it at a good price. ANd not everyone is skilled in alterations either.

    Thanks for dropping by and your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from everyone and respond to all of them!