Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Kiyonna lace skirt | dressy casual

Kiyonna lace skirt | dressy casual | Curvy Outfit Ideas | Petite Outfit Ideas | Plus Size Fashion | Fall Fashion | OOTD | Professional Casual Chic Fashion and Style Inspiration

Hi Ladies,
Today I'm sharing my new lace, a-line skirt from Kiyonna.com. They are an online retailer focusing on sizes 10+. As a member of their Blogger Brigade, I will always have access to their best deals to share with you, and right now you can get 20% off orders of $150 or more, using the code: FALL2015! I think that this skirt is a great example of how they design clothes with the curvy frame in mind. This A-line shape is a great way to highlight your curves. Plus, the classic shape made out of sheer fabric walks the line between sexy and classy perfectly! I did make one alteration to it and really love how it turned out, so keep reading for details!
  Kiyonna lace skirt | dressy casual | Curvy Outfit Ideas | Petite Outfit Ideas | Plus Size Fashion | Fall Fashion | OOTD | Professional Casual Chic Fashion and Style Inspiration 

Kiyonna lace skirt | dressy casual | Curvy Outfit Ideas | Petite Outfit Ideas | Plus Size Fashion | Fall Fashion | OOTD | Professional Casual Chic Fashion and Style InspirationKiyonna lace skirt | dressy casual | Curvy Outfit Ideas | Petite Outfit Ideas | Plus Size Fashion | Fall Fashion | OOTD | Professional Casual Chic Fashion and Style Inspiration

 Details on the alteration: 

This skirt came with a sewn-in nude liner, as you can see from the picture on the left. Unfortunately, the liner wound up really emphasizing my stomach. It was kind of tight, so I don't know if a bigger size would've fixed it, or if that is a side affect of nude liners, but I knew that I didn't like it. So, I called my mom to troubleshoot the problem. First, we discussed "frankensteining" the slip so it would be bigger. (I just made that word up! It involves finding a similar fabric and sewing strips down the side to make the piece bigger. Yes, this does seem very complicated.) Then my mom suggested that I just try a black liner. Whew! One trip to Target later, and I had this black full body slip. I think it's technically classified as "shape wear", but it didn't feel uncomfortable at all. In fact, it felt just like a pair of leggings.

Before cutting out the nude liner, I put on the slip and hiked the liner to my waist, so I could get an idea of how it would look. You always take some risk with an alteration, but I had two things going for me: it looked really good when I hiked it up, plus I could always get it sewn back in if I didn't like it. So I took the plunge!

I'm glad I did and I really like how the end result turned out. What do you think? (The final version is on the left.)

Inexpensive slips to try:




SKIRT: c/o KIYONNA | CARDIGAN: J. CREW FACTORY HEELS: TAHARI (SIM) | BELT: TORRID (SIM)
PURSE: BANANA REPUBLIC (SIM) | SLIP: TARGET (SIM)

BRACELET: BANANA REPUBLIC (SIM) | EARRINGS: BANANA REPUBLIC (SIM)


GET THE LOOK WITH THIS dressy casual attire (UNDER $100):



Linking up with:

7 comments:

  1. That belt just makes that outfit! Lace is so ladylike! Sophisticated look!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! It looks better with the black slip than with the nude one! You took the skirt to a whole different level. Now it seems edgy and artsy and more sophisticated. I wonder if Kiyonna will take note and design the skirt this way next time around. Brava, Merrie! You are the best at altering clothes to make them look better!! And of course I love the pink cardi with the black!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I wonder that too, although I wish I could see the the nude slip in a larger size...I have a feeling it would've been much better if it wasn't so tight.

      Delete
  3. The lace skirt is so pretty! The black underneath looks very chic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from everyone and respond to all of them!